Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Braised Chicken in Artichoke-Mushroom Sauce

Against All Grain by Danielle Walker, page 132
I tried out a second paleo recipe tonight and it was a really big hit! I listened to my oldest son "mmm" repeatedly throughout the meal. We had one piece of chicken left over when it was all done. 

I posted a picture of my meal on Facebook and had requests for the recipe so here it is! 

It came out of the same cookbook (Against All Grain) that my last blog post for the Korean Beef Noodle Bowls recipe came from.  

Again, I had to substitute a couple of ingredients. Until I can make it to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, I have to make do with what I have available to me. In this case, I sent my husband to the store, so I had to make do with what he brought back to me. Ha! 

Braised Chicken in Artichoke-Mushroom Sauce
prep time: 45 minutes   cooking time: 60 minutes    yields: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
6 tbsp bacon fat, ghee, or unsalted butter, divided
2 lbs chicken leg quarters 
2 lbs chicken drumsticks
1 tea sea salt, plus more for finishing
1/4 tea cracked black pepper
1/2 tea paprika, plus more for finishing
1/2 lb sliced cremini mushrooms, stems removed 
3/4 cup chicken broth
1&1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tea honey
1 tbsp coconut flour
2 cups marinated artichoke hearts

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2.Place 4 tbsp bacon fat (I used butter) in a large Dutch oven or stockpot and heat over medium-high heat.
3.Rinse and dry all the chicken, then sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and paprika.
4.Add the chicken to the pot and cook for 8 minutes, turning every 2 minutes to brown evenly on all sides.
5.Remove chicken and set aside.
6.Add the remaining 2 tbsp of bacon fat (I used butter) to the pot, then add the mushrooms, and sauté for 5 minutes.
7.Stir in the broth, vinegar, honey, and coconut flour and simmer for 10 minutes.
8.Return the chicken to the pot, and then scatter the artichoke hearts around it.
9.Spoon a bit of the sauce over the top of the chicken and artichokes, cover, and place in oven to bake for 40 minutes.
10.Remove from the oven and finish with a pinch of salt and paprika. 

I hope you try it and enjoy!! I know we did! 
My dinner ready to eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment