Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Surprise Delight- Paleo Slow Cooker Sausage, Pepper & Onions


School is back in! (Enter: Hallelujah chorus)



And with that starting back up this week, I wanted to focus on easy,  simple, but delicious and healthy dinners. So, after scouring my cookbooks, Google and Pinterest, I made up a meal plan for a week's worth of dinners. 

All starring, the ever-amazing, crock pot (or slow cooker)!  

Let's face it. My life runs just a little bit smoother when I meal plan, and using the crock pot on top of that makes it a little more simple. Which I need with a husband and three children to look after! 

I made two lists. One list was the seven meals that I'd be making every day. Complete with the website or cookbook and page number that I found the recipe so I could go back and look up when it was time to put that meal together. 

The second list was my grocery list. 

And then I was ready to go! With list number two in hand, I bought all my groceries and headed back home to start meal number one. 

Last night was meal two and it was a new one for us. My husband is working nights right now (gotta love shift work) and I was unsure if my picky children were even going to eat it, but I was shocked and thrilled when they all loved it! My three year old ate up her plate and asked for more. My extremely picky five year old ate without complaint...or gagging. And my eleven year old gobbled up his plate with hardly a breath between bites. And I clearly will need to double the recipe next time I make it. It was gone in a flash!

This meal is a keeper and so I thought I'd share it with you guys as well! Its healthy, grain-free, and super yummy!


 Paleo Slow Cooker Sausage, Pepper & Onions
                                
Ingredients: 
  • 1 12-16 ounce package of sausage (I used Italian Style sausage) 
  • 1 red, green & yellow bell pepper 
  • 1 small yellow onion 
  • 15 oz can diced tomatoes 
  • 4-6 garlic cloves minced 
  • Italian Seasoning 
  • salt and pepper  
Directions: Cook on LOW in slow cooker for 8 hours


This meal can easily be freezer for cooking at a later time as well. Just combine all the ingredients in a ziplock and freeze. When it comes time to cook, no thaw is needed. 

Also, while I didn't serve it with anything else, you could easily serve this over rice as well. 

Easy peasy.

Let me know if you decide to try it out! Hope you enjoy!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment